Sunday, December 05, 2010

Time just flies!

It already December, the last month of the year!!! Already the year 2010 is at its end...and I just stepped into my 30th year!! I remember it was just the other day when we were kids and used to think people beyond 25-30 yr olds as aunties and uncles. Today I am getting used to the neighbourhood kids calling me "aunty"!  It is more than a decade since we passed out of school, near a decade since we graduated, but I am still in contact with so many of my friends from school and college.  I am from a small city in South India and I am used to keeping in touch with friends. I was and still am the contact point for all my friends and I keep them updated about each other.  Whenever I visit my hometown, I make sure I meet my friends from school and college, or at least give them a call. Just before I got married, my husband, who is from Mumbai had mentioned that he has some friends who he has not met for over 3-4 years in spite of living in the same city!!! I was shocked to hear that and I remember wondering what kind of friends do not meet for such long periods of time in spite of being in the same city. But it indeed is true!! Life is so busy here that there is no time to meet friends that often. Each one has his/her own priorities and commitments that there are times when the friends do not have time to even give a call to each other for months at a stretch.  Nevertheless whenever we all meet now, the friendship and the camaraderie is always there as if they have always been in touch. There is no awkwardness or loss of warmth. Just last week, a childhood friend of my husband and now a dear friend of mine too, got married and we met the whole gang at the wedding reception. We were meeting many of them after almost 3 years but instantly connected and enjoyed every bit of the evening. Now I realize it does not matter how often we meet nor the number of phone calls we make to each other.  It is important to keep in touch, but what  matters most is that we all are genuinely happy to see each other and enjoy some quality time with each other.  May be distance does make the hearts grow fonder!!
my new clutch

Btw, when I was deciding upon what to wear for the wedding reception last Thursday, I realized I did not have a clutch to carry, not that I do not have any, but I did not have any made by myself!! So a few hours before the reception I got to work on a beige colored yarn and managed to make a compact clutch that matched my outfit. Yay!!!

7 comments:

pdkamath said...

Hi visiting via Kavin's blog and happy to be here.
Cruel fact of modern life- you can't manage your time to meet friends and relatives in spite of staying in the same city. Leave alone bigger city, it is happening in smaller cities also. Modern methods of communications are helpful to remain in touch. Thanks for nice post and happy blogging.

Mangala said...

Kamathmam, thanks for visiting my blog and your comments :)

raji said...

I know how it feels to meet good old friends.I have some get together with some old school friends at times and its fun!anupama who is at mumbai had come to bangalore and she made it a point to meet me when she was at bangalore.I have my college friends who keep coming home.its nice,but since iam at us now i miss all that!

raji said...

and yes mangala ,clutch is beautiful.

Mangala said...

@Raji, thanks :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mangala said...

@ Bhawna,
oh yes, social networking sites do help us to remain in touch, but I feel nothing beats meeting our loved ones in person! But when there are time constraints, something is better than nothing, n these sites are indeed very very useful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...